Wednesday, July 30, 2008

National Book Award


Varieties of Disturbance-Stories by Lydia Davis
This novel of short stories was not one of my favorite. I found it very difficult to get into and some of the stories did not make sense to me as I read. Basically there are different characters in each short story that have to deal with or not deal with personal struggles, worries or concerns in their personal life. I did find my self thinking about me when I read the short story that is named after the title of the book. Basically it is about a woman who finds her self trying to play peace maker, head problem solver, when her mother calls and tells her that she thinks she upset her brother, in turn she tries to make peace but can’t get in touch with her brother and then there is a domino effect when she calls her husband who tells her not to worry. The main character can’t help worrying and then becomes obsessed with the fact she now has everyone around her thinking about and worrying about the same issue. Another story deals with one man’s struggle to plan the perfect dinner party and yet he worries and second guesses the entire menu and evening’s event to almost driving me the reader crazy and I am sure himself. Overall, the book is a quick read, but if did not keep my attention throughout.




No comments: